Specifically, the data helped identify:
- How many San Francisco residents lived in rent-controlled units
- Length of residency in rent-controlled units in San Francisco
- How much money San Francisco residents saved in below-market rental units
- How often landlords converted units to new types of housing not covered under rent control
- How median rents changed since the 1990s
Focusing on migration patterns of renters in the San Francisco Bay Area, Stanford Graduate School of Business Professors Rebecca Diamond and Tim McQuade along with PhD student Franklin Qian embarked on a new study examining the effects of rent control expansion.